Flight Guide: Steps Before Departure
Because of the high volume of travelers, the members of our Newark Airport parking service suggest you arrive at the airport early.
- Allow an hour and half early for a domestic flight.
- Arrive two hours before boarding time for an international flight.
To get through the security line faster, make sure you're prepared.
- Have your boarding pass and ID out and ready.
- Organize the items in your carry-on bags so that they're easier to x-ray.
- Know what you can and can't bring on a flight (see: Luggage Regulations).
- Remove your belt, shoes, jewelry, and any pocketed items to place in a bin.
- Take your laptop out of its case to place them in separate bins.
- Remove pets from their carrier.
- Remove infants and children from their stroller and if possible, collapse the stroller before you get to the front of the line.
Our Newark Airport parking members tend to fly with luggage that is easily recognizable (like brightly colored or oddly shaped). This makes it easier to locate at baggage claim.
Most airlines allow two carry-on bags (a purse is considered a carry-on) that can fit in their overhead compartment or under the seat. The general rule-of-thumb is if the bag's length, width, and height add up to be 45 inches or less, it will be fine.
Any liquids in your carry-on bags must be in bottles no larger than 3 ounces and placed in a 1-quart plastic zip-locked bag for security guards to check separately.
Items according to the Transportation Security Administration that are prohibited from being stored in carry-on luggage include:
- Sharp objects
- Knives, razors, scissors, etc.
- Firearms and ammunition
- Including air guns, bb guns, replicas, etc.
- Martial arts and self-defense items
- Brass knuckles, night sticks, nunchakus, etc.
- Sporting goods
- Baseball bats, pool cues, hand weights, ski poles, etc.
- Crowbars, cattle prods, saws, drills, etc. (Simple tools are allowed as long as they're 7 inches or less in length)
- Explosives and flammable material
- Only lighters without fuel are permitted anywhere on the plane
At our Newark Airport parking facility, we recommend you bring your essentials (underwear, toothbrush, socks, etc.) and valuables on the flight. That way, if the airline loses your luggage, you'll have everything you need until you can get it back.
For checked luggage, regulations vary by airline.