Ever wonder how Newark Liberty International Airport came to be the bustling hub it is today? Our EWR Airport parking company dove into the history of the airport and the area to discover the history behind it:
Newark Liberty International Airport (which began as Newark Metropolitan Airport) was first built in 1928 on 68 acres of marshland and was the first airport to serve travelers in the New York City area. It had one runway (4/22).
1940s – 1950s
During World War II, commercial aviation was halted and the airport was used by the U.S. Army for training purposes. Regular operations commenced in 1946 and in 1948, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey took control over the airport and quickly made changes. The Art Deco Administration building then served as the terminal, but the Port constructed a North Terminal that opened up in 1953. It also built a control tower, instrument runway, and an air cargo center.
1970s – 1980s
The airport’s Terminal A, Terminal B, Central Heating and Refrigeration Plant, the Port Authority Administration Building, taxis, and roadways were all constructed over the next two decades and opened in the early 1970s. In 1988, EWR’s Terminal C was built next to Terminals A and B. Each terminal has three concourses (A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3, C1, C2, and C3). In 1989, a two-building maintenance complex was added to the area.
1990s – 2000
In 1996, the International Arrivals Facility opened in Terminal B and the monorail was launched. In 2006, Terminal B underwent a $347 million renovation and reopened in 2014 with changes to the ticket counters, baggage screening, connectors, and the meet/greet area. Terminal A may also be renovated in the future.
Completed in 2015, Newark’s Terminal C got a complete food, restaurant, and technological makeover. Now, travelers can choose from a wide variety of food options created and/or inspired by top chefs. They can also order their choices via iPads.
Today, EWR covers around 2,000 acres of land and has three runways, and one helipad.