When it comes to traveling, our Newark Airport parking company knows that airline tickets and hotel reservations go hand-in-hand. If you’re a fan of history or love classic architecture, there’s a hotel in every state that may spark your interest. Here are the oldest operating hotels in each of the 50 U.S. states:
This hotel (pictured above) was built in 1884 by a Pennsylvania-native named Dr. Frank Caldwell. The name is taken from a town in France and means “a musical mountain spring.” In 2010, the hotel was fully restored by two dedicated families.
The Alaskan was built in 1913 in Juneau, just one year after the state of Alaska became a territory. Its architecture reflects the transition between the 19th and 20th centuries and the interior was done in the late Victorian “Queen Anne” style.
Opened in 1891, the Grand Canyon Hotel in Williams was the only hotel near the Grand Canyon for a number of years. Many famous guests have stayed at the historic hotel and it still services guests from all over the world, with a registry dating back to 1904.
Located in Eureka Springs, this hotel dates back to 1886 and has an interesting history involving many different purchasers, leasers, and restorers. Some of these include the Frisco Railroad, Norman Baker, and Wichita Savings & Loan. It was also visited by celebrities like Willie Nelson and Bill Clinton.
Originally called the Sperry and Perry Hotel, Murphy’s was built in 1856 by James Sperry and Tom Perry in Murphy’s, California. It was host to many famous guests like Mark Twain, Ulysses S. Grant, and John Jacob Astor, and was renamed in 1945 by the McKimins family.
Located at the base of the San Juan Mountains in Del Norte, Colorado, the Windsor opened its doors in 1874. It has since been restored, but has retained much of the “old western” culture of the state.
This hotel is located in Connecticut’s antique capital, Woodbury, and is one of the oldest hotels in the country. It was built by Anthony Stoddard in 1735 as a home for his son and became an inn in 1754. It was named the Curtis House once ownership transferred to five different owners with the names “Curtis” or “Curtiss.”
Built in 1836 and originally known as The Union Hotel, this hotel was a favorite among supporters of the Union in Georgetown. While it serves as a hotel today, at one point The Brick housed the county courthouse and was home to a post office. In 2008, it was fully renovated.
Built in 1883 in Mount Dora, The Lakeside Inn is the last of the Grand Victorian era hotels in Florida. The hotel was visited by President Calvin Coolidge and his wife and was also the site for the movie Honky Tonk Freeway in 1979.
In 1851, the four-story Marshall House was built in Savannah and served as a hospital for soldiers during the end of the Civil War. It was also home to author Joel Chandler Harris and was closed off and on until 1957. In 1999, it was restored and re-opened again.
Located in what is now Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, the Volcano house dates back to 1846 and is considered one of the oldest properties in Hawaii. It’s still the only hotel in the national park and in 2013, it underwent $7 million in renovations.
The Idaho Hotel opened its doors in 1863 in the town of Ruby City, however, it was dismantled and relocated to Silver City three years later to capitalize on the business in the area. It’s known for the famous J. Marion Moore – Samuel Lockhart shooting that occurred in front of the hotel in 1868.
In 1855, local Galena investors built a grand hotel in anticipation of the Illinois Central Railroad. It was considered the largest hotel in the West and was used by both Abraham Lincoln and Ulysses S. Grant as a site for their presidential campaigns.
After settlers began populating the area of Madison in the early 1800s, the Broadway Hotel & Tavern opened in 1834. It catered to travelers, workers, and citizens and began to thrive once the prohibition ended in 1933.
Located in Cedar Falls, Iowa, this hotel has gone by many names since it was built in the early 1850s, including the Winslow House, the Western, the Carter House, the Davis House, and Burr’s Hotel – all by 1885. In 1914, it was named the Blackhawk Hotel when it was redesigned by John Ralston.
Originally called the Cowtown Cafe and built in anticipation of the Union Pacific Railroad, the Brookville hotel struggled to stay open when the railroad was relocated to Junction City. However, its famous “Family Style Chicken Dinners” kept the Abilene hotel afloat.
Built in Bardstown in 1779, the Talbott Tavern has earned its place in American History. It houses the world’s oldest Bourbon bar (at one point owned by Jim Beam’s brother T.R.) and figures like Daniel Boone, Jesse James, and Abraham Lincoln all rested here.
Situated in the French Quarter of New Orleans, this hotel opened its doors in 1886 by frenchman Antonio Monteleone. It has been used for a wide variety of films and television shows and is said to be haunted with former guests and employees.
The Seaside Inn in Kennebunkport is considered the oldest hotel in both Maine and America. The beachfront property opened around 1660 and is currently owned by the 9th generation of the hotel’s innkeepers.
Part of a trio of hotels known as the Historic Inns of Annapolis, the Governor Calvert House was originally built in 1695 and was home to a local family before it was turned into a boutique hotel. The other two hotels are the Maryland Inn and the Robert Johnson House.
Boston’s Omni Parker House has been part of the area’s history since 1855. Founded by Harvey D. Parker, the hotel has seen its share of historical figures like Ralph Waldo Emerson, Babe Ruth, Henry David Thoreau, President John F. Kennedy, and more.
Built in 1869, the Old Mission Inn in Traverse City overlooks Lake Michigan’s Old Mission Harbor. Having gone through several owners throughout the years, this hotel has been known by names like Hedden Hall and The Porter House. It was finally named Old Mission Inn in 1945.
Anderson House Hotel
Located in Wabasha, this hotel opened its doors in 1856. Built by B. F. Hurd, it was known as the Hurd House until 1909, when the Anderson family bought it. Over the years, it became famous for its Dutch restaurant but after closing in 2009, it reopened in 2011 with a museum in place of the restaurant.
Many hotels were built in Mississippi in the early 1920s, but the Hilton Garden Inn was the very first, in 1923. The hotel began as a 12-story building named the Edwards Hotel. Thirty years later it was expanded and renamed the King Edward Hotel before becoming the Hilton Garden Inn.
Built in 1888 on 50 acres of rolling green and lush trees in Excelsior Springs, the Elms Hotel was considered a luxury, where guests were entertained by an orchestra. After burning down twice in less than two years, it reopened in 1912 and grew in popularity since.
The Grand Union Hotel was founded in 1882 in Fort Benton, seven years before Montana became a state. It was visited by some of the most prominent figures in Montana history before closing in the 1980s. In 1997, it was reopened and restored by the Gagnons.
In Crofton, you’ll find the Argo Hotel, which was built in 1912. At the time, it was considered very modern, with up-to-date amenities. In addition to a hotel, the building also served as a brothel and a medical clinic. It was renovated in 1995.
Built in 1856 in Gold Hill, this hotel began as The Riesen House and became a popular place for social events. The hotel was also known as Mark Twain’s regular hang-out spot and is considered haunted by members of his Monumental Liars Club.
In 1865, a small farmhouse in Whitefield became a resting place for two stranded travelers. After the travelers stayed for a week, farmhouse went on to become a three-story inn by 1872. It became a world-class resort and has provided a luxurious experience for visitors ever since.
Located in Cape May, the Chalfonte Hotel was constructed just two blocks from the beach in 1876. Today, the hotel channels old Southern charm and romance and attracts visitors from all over the world.
Built in 1916 in Ojo Caliente, this hotel boasts the style of a “new” mission revival adobe and prides itself on its available natural health experiences. Ojo became a place where thousands of people were cured with the effects of water and earth and is still enjoyed by many today.
This Rhinebeck hotel is considered one of the oldest in the country. It opened in the early 1700s as a traveler’s inn and was relocated and expanded in 1766. The hotel played a large part in the American Revolution and saw many famous owners and customers.
This hotel was opened in 1891 by a group of businessmen and contained the only U.S. Post Office in all of Green Park (now called Blowing Rock). Many famous guests stayed in the hotel including Annie Oakley, Eleanor Roosevelt, J.D. Rockefeller, Calvin Coolidge, and more.
Located in Fullerton, this hotel was built in 1889 and named after the builder’s son, Carroll. Its “ballroom” became the location for most of the town’s social events, but lodgings were in such high demand, it had to be turned into more rooms. It has since been restored.
Built in Lebanon in 1815, the Golden Lamb was named as such because many early pioneers couldn’t read and having a business with a drawable name was the best idea. The two-story hotel expanded throughout the years and by 1964, had four stories, a wing, and a gift shop.
In 1911 in Oklahoma City, the Skirvin Hilton Hotel was opened to the public as the “newest, finest hotel in the Southwest.” The 500-room hotel became host to many famous figures like Frank Sinatra, Elvis, Jimmy Hoffa, Harry Truman, Bob Hope, and more.
Nestled in Wolf Creek, this hotel was built in 1883 by pioneer merchant Henry Smith. Two years later, many orchards were planted next to the hotel dining room (and still stand today) and the hotel was visited by famous names like Clark Gable, Robert Redford, Jack London, and more.
Built in 1797 by James Scott, this hotel was originally called Scott’s Tavern. It was reacquired in 1809 and called the Indian Queen, then the McClellan House in 1846. After the battle of Gettysburg, the hotel was renovated, renamed, and visited by several famous people throughout the years.
When the Providence Biltmore opened in 1922, it was the social event of the year. The hotel was designed by architects Warren and Wetmore (who also built Grand Central Station) and included a drugstore, printing shop, photo lab, and carpentry shop. In 1974, it underwent a renovation and reopened in 1979.
Nestled in Charleston, the Andrew Pinckney Inn was built in the 1840s and encompasses two historic buildings – the Church Street building and the Pinckney building. Since it was built, it has undergone meticulous renovations to preserve its culture and history.
This hotel was built in 1895 in Deadwood and was named for Seth Bullock, the first sheriff of Lawrence County. It has been said that the Bullock Hotel is haunted by Seth himself and there have been reports of other paranormal activity on the second and third floors.
Situated in Jonesborough, the Eureka Inn was built in 1797 and began as a two-story property. As different owners acquired the hotel, its name changed and more and more stories and additions were built. In 1997, 200 years later, the name was changed back to the original Eureka Inn.
Built in 1886 in Austin, the Driskill Hotel was originally a showplace for cattle baron. Two years later, the Driskills lose their fortune and are forced to sell the hotel. Throughout the years, the hotel had many different owners until 1995, when Great American Life Insurance bought it and completely restored it.
Located in the railroad and gold-mining town of Marysvale, this hotel was built in 1882 and originally called the Pines Hotel. It was visited by several Western influencers, like Butch Cassidy and Zane Grey. In 1993, the hotel was restored and has been successful since.
A hotel of traditional New England hospitality, the Dorset Inn opened in 1796 and often catered to guests for weeks or months at a time. It became popular for its local fare and attracted all different kinds of people, from writers to sports enthusiasts to vacationers.
This Abingdon hotel was originally built as a private residence for the Preston family. It was later turned into a women’s college in 1858 and also served as a makeshift hospital during the Civil War. The Martha became the location for several other operations until it became a hotel again in 1932.
This hotel was originally built in Tokeland in 1885 as a home for the Kindreds. In 1889, the home was expanded to become a hotel and was often visited by those on the steam boats from South Bend. The town grew to be a well-known beach resort and still attracts guests from all over.
Located in White Sulphur Springs, this hotel opened its doors in 1778 and became famous for its interior design and sculpted landscaping. It even boasts a golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus in 1978 and has been visited by several famous figures.
Eben and Roseline Peck built this hotel in 1837, and it served as both their home and a public house for newcomers. Years later, in 1873, this public house was “moved” a few blocks down, where a new building was constructed. The hotel underwent many names before becoming the Ruby Marie.
This hotel was founded in 1880 in Buffalo and quickly gained popularity. Many famous figures visited the hotel including Buffalo Bill, Teddy Roosevelt, Calamity Jane, and Butch Cassidy. Over time, it became a “grand hotel,” but had to close its doors in 1986. In 1997, it was reopened and restored.
*Photo credit: http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv8763.php